This is No. 8 Building (East), former site of the Third Hospital during the 1937 Battle of Shanghai. Built in 1919, it is a two-story brick-and-wood structure with an area of about 700 square meters. With a red-tiled slope top, arc-shaped window holes and blue-bricked pilasters, it forms part of the former site of Aurora University together with No. 1 Building (East) and No. 4 Building (East). In June 2009, it was listed as a “protected cultural relic building in Luwan District (merged into Huangpu District in 2011), Shanghai Municipality”.
After the outbreak of the 1937 Battle of Shanghai, the graduates, faculty and students of Aurora University School of Medicine jointly set up Shanghai Education and Nursing Committee of the Red Cross Society of China, and used several buildings including No. 8 Building (East) as the site for the Third Hospital. The hospital was made up of three departments: general affairs, receiving and dispatch, and medical care, and had more than 200 beds. In addition, there were more than 50 beds in the nearby Affiliated Guangci Hospital (now Ruijin Hospital): Teachers and Grades 5 and 6 students served as doctors, and more than 40 male and female nurses were selected by the Franciscans, Sacred Heart Hospital and Gongji Hospital. The Third Hospital admitted a large number of the wounded as soon as it was established. With the continuation of the war and the sharp increase in the number of the wounded, the hospital decided to add 100 beds on the campus of Aurora University and 20 beds in the nearby teaching hospital Andang Hospital (now Ruijin Hospital Luwan Branch). From October 1937 to April 1938, the Third Hospital set up more than 370 beds, received more than 1,400 patients and performed more than 1,600 surgeries, rescuing many wounded soldiers.
Everyone is responsible for the rise and fall of the nation. Bearing this in mind and taking advantage of the concession, teachers and students of Aurora University School of Medicine ran hospitals to save the dying and heal the wounded, thereby safeguarding the dignity of the Chinese people and making important contributions to China’s Anti-Japanese War.
Today, as SJTUSM’s campus clinic, No. 8 Building (East) is the site for the provision of medical services for teachers and students.