The University of Melbourne (UoM) and Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) seek to support research collaboration and the development of globally-engaged researchers through joint research training. Following the SJTU – Melbourne International Research Group (IRTG) inaugural call, Shanghai Jiao Tong University plans to recruit one Joint PhD candidate in mental health research supervised by Professor Yiru Fang from Shanghai Mental Health Center.
Joint PhD candidate is enrolled at both institutions under joint supervision, with one primary supervisor from UoM and one from SJTU; providing opportunities for PIs to expand their collaborative activities. The work will be judged according to the academic standards of both institutions. Upon successful completion, candidate will be eligible to receive a PhD, recognised by two testamurs, one from UoM and one from SJTU. Both testamurs will state the joint nature of the award and the name of the partner institution.
Candidate must meet the minimum eligibility requirements to successfully enroll in the relevant PhD course at both Universities. The joint PhD candidate recruited to the successful projects will join the SJTU – Melbourne IRTG, gaining:
l Access to expertise, resources and world-class training at UoM and SJTU, spending at least 12 months of their candidature at each institution;
l Complimentary skills from their respective hosts that will increase the impact of their research; and
l A global perspective via involvement in the SJTU - Melbourne research network.
The following are general requirements for application to SJTU-Melbourne Joint PhD Program.
1. Non-Chinese citizen.
2. Good health both physically and mentally.
3. Outstanding academic performance and potential.
4. Applicant must have obtained the Master’s degree or Bachelor’s (Honours) degree.
February 13, 2023 2023 application opens
March 31, 2023 Deadline for application
Sept 11, 2023 Enrollment
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the Online Application
Complete and submit an online application at Foreign Students Apply (https://apply.sjtu.edu.cn/) before the application deadline.
MATERIALS TO PREPARE
1. Degree certificates, in scanned files. Applicants who have not graduated by the time of application are required to provide an official letter from their current university stating the expected graduation date.
2. Transcripts, in scanned files. Doctoral program applicants are required to submit both undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
3. Scanned copy of passport.
4. Passport-size photo.
5. Personal statement and study plan.
6. Two letters of academic recommendation from scholars who are associate professors or above, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters with original signatures.
7. If you are applying for programs of the School of Medicine, you are required to contact the supervisor beforehand and provide an acceptance letter by the supervisor.
Note: If your documents are not in English or Chinese, please have them translated into either English or Chinese by an authorized translation agency. Then upload both the translated and original documents onto the application system.
Tuition of SJTU-Melbourne Joint PhD Program will be waived.
Application Website: http://apply.sjtu.edu.cn/
International Affairs Office,
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine
Room 611, Kejiao Building
227 South Chongqing Road, Shanghai 200025, China